|Date of birth:||April 13, 1963|
|Marital status:||Married, 3 children|
|Nationalities:||Swiss and European Union (Slovakia)|
|Fluent in:||English, French, Slovak|
|Basic skills in:||Italian, Japanese|
Tertiary studies in Biomedical Engineering completed with a combined "Dr.sc.techn. Dr.med." (M.D. Ph.D.) degree. The studies were undertaken at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zurich, Switzerland, the University of Zurich, Switzerland, and the University of Basle, Switzerland, as follows:
1982-1984 1st and 2nd year of electrical engineering at the ETH
1984-1986 1st and 2nd year of medicine at the University of Basle
1986-1989 3rd to 5th year of electrical engineering at the ETH
1989 Graduated with "Dipl. El. Ing. ETH" (considered equivalent to
the American "M.Sc." degree) in electrical engineering.
Best Diploma for 1989 from the Department of Electrical
1988-1989 3rd year of medicine at the University of Zurich,
concurrent to final year of electrical engineering.
1989-1993 Doctoral thesis in electrical engineering at the ETH
1992-1994 4th to 6th year of the medical curriculum at the
University of Zurich concurrent to a postgraduate
research project (medical doctoral thesis)
Positions held after Graduations
1995-1996 Visiting Scholar at the School of Electrical Engineering of
Purdue-University, IN, USA.
1996-1997 Electrical engineer at the Department of ENT, Head, Neck
and Cranio- Maxillo-Facial Surgery, Inselspital,
University of Berne, Switzerland.
Okt 1997- Head of Audiology at the Department of ENT, Head, Neck
and Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery, Berne, Switzerland.
- 1995 "Semesterprämie" Award of the University of Zurich for medical doctoral thesis
- 1999 Young Researcher Award (Förderpreis) of the German Audiological Society (DGA)
- 2000 Medel Clinical Research Award (in cooperation with Dr. P. Senn)
- 2003 BZ-Meda-Award (in cooperation with Shcool of applied sciences, Burgdorf, Switzerland)
- 2003 MED-EL Clinical Research Award 2003
- 2007 KTI-Award ("DACS: a new generation of implantable hearing systems" (as a member of the team of Prof. R. Häusler)
- 2009 Meyer-zum-Gottesberge-Preis 2008 of the German Audiological Society (DGA) Laudatio
- 2009 Award for best poster of the Swiss ENT-society (in collaboration with Dr. G. Mantakoudis, Prof. M. Caversaccio, Dr. P. Senn)
- 2010 Medical Cluster Award for Best Doctoral Thesis in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Bern by Dr. Flurin Pfiffner
- 2010 Best Poster Award for: Pfiffner, Flynn, Åsnes, Arnold, Stieger, Kompis: "Baha in single sided deafness", International Conf. on Cochlear Implantation, Stockholm
- 2011 Best Basic Science Article of the year (Journal of Laryngology and Otology) for Paper by Stieger C, Caversaccio M, Arnold A, Zheng G, Salzmann J, Widmer D, Gerber N, Thurner M, Nauer C, Mussard Y, Kompis M, Nolte LP, Häusler R, Weber S)
Boards of international societies
- 2013-2019 Board member of the European Federation of Audiology Societies EFAS
- 2018-2019 President of the Collegium Oto-Rhino-Laryngologicum Amicitiae Sacrum (CORLAS)
A number of Downloads is available free of charge: